- The opportunity to contribute to world class Finance research and education within the University of Sydney Business School and to work in a collaborative and supportive environment
- Academic Level C, located at Camperdown Campus, University of Sydney Business School
- 2 Full time, continuing positions, remuneration package $154,157 - $177,593 p.a which includes leave loading and 17% superannuation. A salary supplement may be negotiated with successful applicants
About the opportunity
The University of Sydney is Australia’s premier university with an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence, and employs over 7,500 permanent staff supporting over 70,000 students. The University of Sydney Business School is one of the Asia Pacific region’s premier centres for engaged and innovative business education and research. With a highly international outlook, we have over 523 FTE (full-time equivalent) staff and more than 14,300 students (10,416 EFTSL) from diverse backgrounds enrolled in a comprehensive suite of programs including the high-profile MBA.
Building on our strong alliances with industry, government and the not-for-profit sector, the Business School is pursuing an ambitious strategic direction as a thought-leader in the development of ethical, responsible and sustainable responses to emerging global business challenges. We are housed in a state-of-the-art learning environment which, in the highly competitive global market for business education, enhances our ability to attract the best and brightest students, staff and researchers from around the world.
The Discipline of Finance is highly regarded and ranked consistently in the top 20 of the QS World Rankings. We have a very active research agenda covering major topic areas of finance. The discipline teaches course work programs to both undergraduates and postgraduates with two undergraduate majors (finance and banking) and one broad postgraduate specialisation in finance. There is a vibrant undergraduate honours program and PhD program.
We are looking for strong early-to-mid-career researchers with genuine ambition for high-quality research, excellence in teaching, a commitment to service and a desire for involvement in team-based initiatives. The Discipline is seeking to appoint two Senior Lecturers who exhibit:
- a demonstrated ability to publish in high-quality journals
- a desire to contribute to an ambitious research culture in a spirit of positivity, collaboration and cooperation
- an interest in strong and lasting industry collaborations, and engaged research using innovative, inter-disciplinary research approaches
- a demonstrated ability to teach a wide range of Finance units, at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, to culturally diverse student cohorts
- ability to communicate technical concepts effectively in English
- a passion for curriculum development and delivery design
- a record of good governance and service
- an alignment to the University’s values of courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity
- a demonstrated ability to work successfully in a team environment.
About the discipline
The Discipline of Finance at The University of Sydney Business School is a primary centre for finance research in Australasia, located in the exciting and multicultural city of Sydney. Our expertise is reflected in our sought-after degree programs, both undergraduate and postgraduate (including PhD), which promote a deep understanding of the key concepts and contemporary applications of finance.
The Finance Discipline comprises approximately 45 academics. Our research strengths lie in empirical corporate finance, empirical market microstructure, asset pricing, quantitative finance, real estate finance, consumer finance, behavioural finance and banking. However, we are not specifically seeking individuals with research interests in these areas. Rather, our philosophy is to continue developing an engaging and wide-reaching research environment with strong links to the international academic community and industry.
Our Discipline is large and operates with two co-heads working together. The Discipline has a Research Committee, a Teaching Committee, a Curriculum Review Workgroup and a PhD Recruitment Committee. Our PhD intake is three to four high-quality students per year.
The Discipline values positivity, excellence, collaboration and cooperation. We are looking for individuals with a passion for research and a desire to contribute to the development of an encouraging, safe-to-fail, and ambitious research culture.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 325/0220C to apply.
Closing date: 11.30pm, Sunday 15 March 2020
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.