About the City
As Victoria's largest regional municipality, the City provides the benefits of city living in a beautiful seaside location - all only 1 hour from Melbourne. We enjoy an open and inclusive culture with great employment conditions, competitive salaries, flexible work arrangements, paid parental leave, and many varied learning and development opportunities. The City is an equal opportunity employer and values the contributions a diverse workforce can bring to our community.
About the Planning Strategy & Urban Growth Department
This department is part of our Planning & Development Division, and is responsible for developing policies, strategies and plans that manage the sustainable growth of Geelong to deliver liveable communities and places. The Department also coordinates the Future Proofing Geelong program.
About the role
The primary role of this position is to lead the management of development contributions. This will include development of a governance framework, policies, procedures and systems to appropriately manage the risks associated with developer contributions. The role will also be responsible for the financial management of development contributions, annual indexation, cash flow forecasting and financial and statutory reporting.
This role will lead and facilitate cross-organisational communication and process improvement as they relate to the financial management of development contributions.
Some of the key responsibilities in this role will include:
- Develop and continually review the governance framework, policies, procedures and systems to appropriately manage developer contributions and the inherent risks.
- Provide leadership on the management of development contributions, this includes Development Contributions Plans and other development contribution agreements.
- Ensure council’s compliance with its responsibilities as a Collection Agency in accordance with the Planning and Environment Act 1987.
- Undertake robust financial modelling and projections of expected revenues and expenditures as they relate to development contributions.
- Provide expert advice and support to relevant Divisional Directors and Council Departments in relation to development contributions.
- Negotiate and liaise with developers regarding developer contributions on an ongoing basis.
- Champion and provide advice on the development and updating of the Council’s strategies, procedures, policies and systems relating to the preparation, implementation and administration of development contributions across Council.
- Accurate reporting of development contributions funds and projects to meet statutory obligations and inform stakeholders.
To be successful in this role, you will require:
- Tertiary qualification in accounting, finance, business management or other relevant discipline.
- Significant knowledge of local government’s role, responsibility and challenges relative to the role.
- Demonstrated experience in accurate financial modelling and projections with the ability to monitor, identify and respond to variations affecting long term financial plans.
- Highly developed analytical, investigative, interpretative and project management skills.
- Highly developed stakeholder management and relationship building skills and a proven track record of effectively negotiating with the community, key stakeholders and internal divisions across all levels.
- Ability to problem solve and think laterally to come up with innovative solutions to difficult problems and identify deliverable solutions.
Applications and Enquiries
Click the APPLY NOW button below to submit your application or find out more about this opportunity.
Enquiries: Jessica Hurse | 03 5272 4252 | JHurse@geelongcity.vic.gov.au
Applications close 5:00pm Friday 14 December 2018.