- Work for one of the most dynamic and diverse inner-city Councils
- $75K - $85K + Super
- Maximum term – Full Time Position for 2 years with access to fortnightly RDO
- Ref No : 19223
At Moreland our diverse community is vibrant and full of energy, with an array of community services and place making, fabulous festivals, pools, libraries, a recently redesigned gallery space, scenic bike paths and a community of artists and creative industries and shops. We are a progressive cosmopolitan council with 180,000 residents and with ambitions for environmental sustainability, social justice and community wellbeing. Moreland's Civic Centre is located Coburg, just 8 kilometres north of Melbourne’s CBD, with excellent public transport options, great food and cafés, providing Moreland to be a great place to live, work and play.
Find out more about Moreland here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FiM3A5hS9Y
ABOUT THE ROLE
Moreland City Council has a fantastic opportunity for a Graduate Accountant to join our Finance team. We are looking for someone who will enjoy working with many different stakeholders across all areas of the organisation and within a dynamic team to provide support in financial planning and analysis.
The successful candidate will work closely with the Management Accounting team to support stakeholders with business planning, performance reporting and financial analysis services to enable sound business decisions.
This position would suit a graduate or recent graduate. Previous experience in a high activity role with excellent interpersonal communication, email and written skills will be well regarded, alongside a strong commitment to customer service and attention to detail.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM THIS ROLE
- Tertiary qualification in accounting or commerce (majoring in accounting).
- Industry based learning is highly desirable but not essential.
- Intent to start working towards completion of CPA Australia or the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Australia.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills.
- A strong commitment to customer service.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and word skills.
- Excellent understanding of the Australian Accounting Standards.
- Excellent administrative skills.
- A good level of skill with computer operating systems.
- Able to demonstrate conceptual, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy.
- Able to understand and demonstrate required skills.
- An understanding of long term unit goals and appreciation of the wider organisational goals.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM THIS ROLE
- Providing timely, accurate and effective advice to guide and regulate clients.
- Working with Finance Business Partners to provide financial support to Managers and Directors; including variance analysis and budget management.
- Supporting the DCP Officer with the administration of the Moreland Development Contribution Plan (DCP) to ensure that the DCP levy is collected for all leviable developments within the municipality in accordance with Council’s DCP and other internal policies and procedures.
- Ensuring efficient, effective and professional services are provided to customers and stakeholders with a focus on excellence in customer service.
- Provide support to the Financial Reporting and Business Partner to ensure that the financial data from all systems is accurate.
- Contribute to the development and on-going management of MCC’s financial policies, procedures and systems, focusing on creating efficiencies for the business and the team.
- Provide support to Financial Accounting services when required including taxation, bank reconciliation and asset accounting.
WHAT THIS ROLE CAN OFFER
- Fortnightly RDO
- Extensive opportunities for training and career development
- Salary sacrifice options
- A real sense of work-life balance
- Employer-supported study assistance schemes
- Wellness programs- 3 free gym classes & an active social club
For further information please contact Jemma Wightman on 9240 2320.
Applications close: 5pm, 19 June 2020.
Moreland City Council is proudly diverse and an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, people with disability, and people from every culture, gender and sexuality identity, age and ethnic background. Moreland City Council is committed to being a Child Safe organisation and has zero tolerance for child abuse.