Unit Manager Finance Manager
Moreland City Council (View other jobs from this organisation)
Unit Manager Finance Manager
At Moreland our diverse community is vibrant and full of energy, with an array of community services and place making, fabulous festivals, cool pools, libraries and a recently designed gallery space, scenic bike paths and a community of artists and creative industries and shops. We are a progressive cosmopolitan council with 180,000 residents and with ambitions for environmental sustainability, social justice and community wellbeing. Moreland's Civic Centre is located in Coburg, just 8 kilometres north of Melbourne’s CBD, with excellent public transport options, great food and cafés, providing Moreland to be a great place to live, work and play.
Find out more about Moreland here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FiM3A5hS9Y
ABOUT THE ROLE
Our people and community are the heart of all that we do and ensuring that our staff work in safe and supportive workplace is a high priority to us.
Currently, we’re seeking a highly motivated Finance Professional to lead the Finance Unit and to fill a key leadership role within the Moreland Senior Management Team. This role will support the Chief Financial Officer to ensure the financial health and long-term financial sustainability of the Council.
This role will be critical in Implementing a culture that leads to greater excellence or continuous improvement, which includes leading the implementation of new processes, activities or culture that enhance the customer experience. This role will also play a key part in building and leveraging high performing partnerships to drive this success.
The Unit Manager of Finance will ensure the development and implementation of financial planning, budgeting and reporting systems across all business units including maintenance of financial records in compliance with the requirements of the Local Government Act 1989, Local Government (Accounting) Regulations, Australian Accounting Standards, Australian Tax Legislation and policies as adopted by Council.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED TO PERFORM THIS ROLE
- Degree in accounting, commerce or related field and is a qualified Chartered Practising Account (CPA) or Chartered Accountants (CA).
- Proven line management experience leading and motivating people.
- Substantial experience with managing budgetary processes and financial statements in a large/complex organisation.
- High level of technical competence in all facets of accounting.
- Experience in leading and delivering accounting/finance services, within a Government environment would be an advantage.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM THIS ROLE
- Support the CFO to develop and implement an integrated financial performance framework and the development of policies and programs across the organisation that will embrace long term financial sustainability.
- Ensure that relevant policies, procedures and work practices are implemented and adhered to in line with financial sustainability, regulatory requirements and corporate policies.
- Contribute to the development and achievement of the Annual Budget, Long Term Financial Plan, Revenue and Rating Plan and any related Plans linked to the wider goals and objectives of the organisation.
- Develop and implement a plan to execute organisational strategy by prioritising and assigning resources and accountabilities.
- Ensure timely and comprehensive responses to Council Action Plans, Audit & Risk observations and External Audit Findings.
- Persist in executing organisational strategies even when faced with obstacles.
- Lead risk management practice by identifying, assessing, influencing, preventing, treating and monitoring risk relevant to the role, the work area and broader organisation.
- Ensure strong and effective fraud and corruption controls are in place and regularly reviewed.
WHAT THIS ROLE CAN OFFER
- The opportunity to work alongside a professional and supportive executive team
- Salary sacrifice options
- Extensive opportunities for training and career development
- A real sense of work-life balance
- Employer-supported study assistance schemes
- Wellness programs and an active social club
For further information please contact Charlie Chung – Recruitment Business Partner on 9240 2426.
Applications close: 11.30 pm, 31st January 2021. (*in the case that we receive a high volume of applications we may close this advert before the closing date).
Before submitting an application please view the Position Description.
Moreland City Council is proudly diverse and an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community, people with disability, and people from every culture, gender and sexuality identity, age and ethnic background. Moreland City Council is committed to being a Child Safe organisation and has zero tolerance for child abuse.
- Closing Date:
- 31 Jan 2021
- VIC - Coburg
- Work Type:
- Full Time