Equity Portfolio Manager - [Archived Advertisement]
Equity Portfolio Manager
Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present. View our vision towards reconciliation
- Bring your strong investment management experience and make a difference at CSIRO
- Manage a portfolio of investments in a number of high-impact companies that are commercialising CSIRO research!
- If you love building critical relationships through your internal/external stakeholder expertise this role is for you!
CSIRO Equity Portfolio team have an opportunity for an Equity Portfolio Manager (EPM) to join the team! This role will see you responsible for the ongoing management of CSIRO’s direct Equity Portfolio. Working with the existing EPM, you will be responsible for the day-to-day management of a sub-portfolio of companies, more specifically: developing a deep understanding of each company, staying abreast of developments at each portfolio company, managing the internal process around any shareholder approvals, semi-annual investment re-valuations and interactions with CSIRO Finance, and fulfilling internal financial and regulatory reporting requests.
This role will see you highly visible across the organisation and requires you to have a sound knowledge of equity transactions, investment management and valuation principles, attention to detail and strong communication capability. You will be expected to build relationships and interact with CSIRO nominee directors, portfolio company management teams and other external stakeholders.
You will have significant engagement with Commercialisation Managers and CSIRO Business Unit stakeholders and liaise closely with the IP, Legal and Finance teams to facilitate the effective management of CSIRO’s Equity Portfolio. This will be in relation to both existing investments, the successful candidate will also be given the opportunity to shape new investment and spin out opportunities being pursued by CSIRO deal teams.
Your duties will include:
- Managing any shareholder-related matters, including preparing papers and reviewing documents necessary to make a recommendation to CSIRO’s Shareholder Representative or the CSIRO Delegate, for each specific investment.
- Providing support to CSIRO’s nominee directors.
- Staying abreast of each company’s capital raising activities and progress against key milestones to then understand and make recommendations relating to CSIRO’s holding value for that investment.
- Assisting in developing external communication and marketing activities to promote the impact and performance of CSIRO’s equity management activities.
- Develop and implement exit or conversion strategies for each transaction and management of exit or conversion activities.
- Transactional support for new investment opportunities by partnering with CSIRO Business Units, Business Development, and Commercial teams to develop a pipeline of new equity investment opportunities to enable equity re-investment.
- Working with Business Units and appropriate Enterprise Support Services to perform the above activities and to ensure alignment between BU strategy and Equity Portfolio management outcomes.
- Manage the reporting around performance of CSIRO’s Equity Portfolio for both internal and external requirements.
- Develop and mentor junior team members.
Location: Sydney NSW preferred. Melbourne VIC or Canberra ACT or Brisbane QLD will be considered
Salary: AU$141,949 - AU$157,055 per annum (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be considered you will need:
- Degree level qualifications in either commerce, finance, law, accounting, or other relevant discipline.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, evidenced by superior reporting, presentation and negotiation abilities, and the capacity to identify and influence critical stakeholders to gain support for contentious proposals/ideas.
- Significant commercial experience gained in an investment management, financial/corporate advisory, accounting or other relevant corporate or financial markets environment
- Expertise in performing detailed company and financial analysis
- Knowledge and understanding of equity investment instruments, including associated documentation
- Knowledge and understanding of company valuation techniques
- Strong commercial acumen and understanding of key corporate governance principles
- A strong history of working effectively in teams
- Direct investment management experience
- Familiarity with the Australian innovation sector and science commercialisation pathways
- Experience with start-up companies and VC funding
- Experience engaging with third party management teams and stakeholders, ideally gained in an investment management setting
- Previous experience in a similar position
For full details about this role please review the Position Description
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national police check and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia's national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
Thursday 11 August, 11:00pm AEST
- Closing Date:
- 11 Aug 2022
- AU$141,949 - AU$157,055 per annum (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% super
- Work Type:
- Full Time/ Part Time