Asset Accounting Manager - [Archived Advertisement]
Defence Housing Australia (View other jobs from this organisation)
Asset Accounting Manager
At Defence Housing Australia (DHA), we provide quality housing and related services to Defence members and families. DHA’s award winning work supports the operational, recruitment and retention goals of the Department of Defence.
As Manager – Fixed Assets, you will be responsible for reporting on Housing and Non Housing Fixed Assets of Defence Housing Australia (DHA) and for ensuring the integrity and timely input to the accounting systems.
In order to carry out your responsibilities, you will have experience in a commercial environment and will quickly develop an understanding of DHA’s fixed assets and capital program.
Reporting directly to the Group Financial Controller, you will be responsible for providing expert financial accounting advice. The main focus for your role is on the accuracy of the financial reporting of fixed assets by DHA with attention to the development and construction program and compliance with accounting standards.
As a member of the Finance team you will proactively contribute to business planning, reporting and continuous improvement process.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated experience in managing a corporate asset accounting function, including compliance with all financial legislation, and with a strong grounding in technical accounting and corporate policy support.
- Demonstrated experience in applying a commercial discipline to financial systems, in particular TechOne, and related management decisions for outcomes that support DHA corporate policy and objectives.
- Demonstrated experience in property project accounting, including joint ventures and sound understanding of the Australian Accounting Standards and statutory reporting requirements in relation thereto
- An understanding of DHA’s housing issues, customers and stakeholders and an understanding of the market conditions and arrangements applying to the development & construction activity.
- Highly developed communication skills including liaison, negotiation, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Current membership of CPA Australia or the Institute of Chartered Accountants.
Some of the benefits of working at DHA include:
- Generous employee benefits with a competitive salary packing, including performance bonus
- Employer superannuation contribution of up to 15.4%
- Flexible work arrangements, including family friendly provisions
- Benefits of working for the APS, while in an outcome focused Government Business Enterprise
This is a full-time position. DHA’s core business hours are between 8.30am and 5.00pm Monday to Friday. DHA operates under flexible working hours and staff may be required to work outside core business hours at times.
- Provide financial accounting advice to the Group Financial Controller in respect to all Housing and Non Housing Fixed Assets of DHA, ensuring the integrity and accuracy of associated data as entered into the corporate accounting systems. This includes the Accounting and Whole of Government Ledgers in TechOne.
- Be responsible for the accuracy and integrity of expenditure on development, acquisition and construction projects and the financial reporting of these projects through TechOne.
- Understand and review Joint Venture agreements and ensure accurate accounting and reporting in relation to these capital projects. Liaise with internal stakeholders in relation to DHA’s contributions to the various Joint Venture arrangements. Prepare the Joint Venture contributions to the BAC and Board Finance papers.
- Manage DHA’s annual impairment process, including preparation of the annual Valuation and Impairment Board and Board Audit Committee papers, and ensure activities are in line with Australian Accounting Standards.
- Liaise with the Property Provisioning Group and the respective project managers on the various development and construction activities and ensure all aspects of DHA’s activities in relation thereto are accounted for appropriately.
- Manage the activities of the Assets team, including management of team workflow, work priorities and performance management of team members. Be the key point of contact and escalation point for the business on asset related matters.
- Liaise with DHA’s internal and external auditors and be the key point of contact for all asset related matters including representation of asset data and technical accounting papers.
- Other duties as required by management.
Specific goals against key result areas are outlined in each individual staff member’s performance development agreement each year.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit an online application including a statement of claims against the selection criteria (with a maximum of 500 words in total) detailing your skills and experience relevant to the duty statement along with a current resume.
Contact Officer: for further information about this position please contact
Debra Hampson, 02 6217 8489, Debra.Hampson@dha.gov.au
Applications close: January 2, 2020
Please note late applications will not be accepted.
- Closing Date:
- 02 Jan 2020
- ACT - Canberra
- Work Type:
- Full Time
Assets and Infrastructure
- APS Classification:
- Executive Level 1