- Carry out innovative, impactful research into improving whole farm performance
- Contribute to improvements in productivity and sustainability of croping systems
- Join CSIRO's internationally recognised Agriculture & Food business unit
CSIRO offers PhD graduates an opportunity to launch their scientific careers through our Postdoctoral Fellowships. These fellowships provide experience that will enhance career prospects and facilitate the development of potential leaders for CSIRO.
We are seeking to appoint a highly motivated Postdoctoral Fellow to undertake research into investigating opportunities to improve the productivity, efficiency and sustainability of cropping systems in Australia’s northern grain production region. The role will contribute to this program of research by examining the questions:
- What happens at whole-farm level when you scale paddock-level innovations to the whole farm?
- What whole-farm factors limit the capacity of farmers to optimise their system water-use-efficiency – and what can be done to mitigate or manage these?
Specifically you will:
- Develop innovative concepts, approaches and methods required to elucidate the various interactions that occur at the whole farm scale including biological, social, economic and risk factors
- Utilise and adapt whole-farm analysis approaches to identify drivers and limitations for adoption of novel practices changes on farms
- Interact with farmers, farm-advisor, benchmarking and agri-finance sectors to foster the application of research and development with stakeholders.
- Facilitate greater consideration and understanding of socio-economic factors that are driving farm performance.
Location: Toowoomba/Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Salary: $80K - $91K plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: 3 year term
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Agricultural or Natural Resource Economics
- Advanced understanding of biological, economic and social dimensions of farming enterprises
- Experience with socio-economic research methodologies, particularly focussed at the farm enterprise level
- Experience with development and/or application of models in farming systems research
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
Before applying please view the full position details and selection criteria here: Position Details
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)
At CSIRO, we do the extraordinary every day. We innovate for tomorrow and help improve today - for our customers, all Australians and the world. We imagine. We collaborate. We innovate.
How to Apply: Please upload one document only that includes both your cover letter and CV/Resume, ensuring that you provide enough information relevant to this position to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability for this role.
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEST, 1st of October 2017
Applications will be shortlisted as they are received and we therefore reserve the right to remove this advertising prior to the closing date. Apply today!
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work. Talk to us about how this role could be flexible for you.